Saturday, January 3, 2015

Lymph Node Surgery

The ENT, Doctor Truong had told me he wanted to remove a couple of the very large Lymph nodes in my neck for further testing. It was Set of November 18 at Overlake. He would cut into my throat and remove two for more extensive testing, as they were trying to pin down the cancer information. Since my throat was feeling constricted and I had a hard time swallowing, they needed to go.  I had a great nurse team who went out of their way to make me feel comfortable. Doctor Troung came in and talked to me and then left. I said something about him being “eye candy.”  Blame it on the drugs as the nurses all agreed and it was quiet when he walked in and had no idea what was going on. He had his cheerful, warm smile that made us all at ease, and soon I was wheeled off for surgery.
 
He did a great job, concealing the scar in the neck fold and you are hard pressed to see it.  I woke up and was checked out to make sure I was ok, then got a visit from him and sent home. To do nothing but lay on the couch for at least ten days. No lifting more than 15 pounds. “Don’t do anything” was his last words…stay on couch and watch TV. Why? Well the cut was next to a main artery, and we didn’t want that to rupture. Also, it was next to some major nerves and we didn’t want them to get riled up either. Since the neck is a small portal for a lot of nerves, arteries, etc, it’s best to let it heal with no movement.
 
I seriously thought I would be on the couch for a couple of days, then be able to wander at will through the house and maybe do a few easy house chores. I was so wrong. Major pain, even though with the pain pills, nailed me to the couch. I felt so weak and sick, like a new born and pain every time I moved my neck. I found out you move your neck about every five seconds, so daggers would shoot through me. So, needless to say, I was off work for a couple of weeks and was able to telework for some days, which helped. The bright side was the obstruction in my throat was gone, and I was able to eat food normally. I didn’t have much of an appetite as the cancer was growing rapidly in my body. The couch was my best friend.
The tests results came back and then they sent them out for more detailed testing.  On some days time was still or would rush by like a fast flowing stream. Other days were a blur. I tried to eat but to no avail and continued to lose weight.
 
The results came back, and it was T-cell Lymphoma.  As I sat in Doctor Truong’s office, tears rolled down my face and he hugged me. I walked out, numb. He gave me an Oncologist name and said he would keep in touch. He did and called and is checking my charts for my progress and lets me know with a call, here and there, to come back for a recheck and he cares. That is good to have a Doctor who cares, even after you leave his care. That says a lot about him and his ethics and compassion.
 
 
Thanksgiving came about and the table was heaped with turkey and tons of other savory items. I filled my plate, then poked at the food, eating maybe a cupful. As Getty, Nelson, Jim and Aunt Kimiko cleaned up in the kitchen, I feel asleep on the couch, I awoke to go out to help feed the sheep with my mom and aunt, a tradition I will keep up. As soon as they all left, I passed out on the couch.
 
I called the Oncologist to set up a consultation. My hands were shaking and my voice was cracking. My journey was well on its way and it was a journey that I never want to go on.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment